The Storm King School understands that our students will be the leaders of tomorrow—in their families, in athletics, in the arts and in their careers. To prepare them for the responsibilities ahead, we provide opportunities that present new challenges and teach problem solving, communication, organization, motivation and accountability. Students in our leadership programs aspire to be fully engaged in campus life and are driven to make a difference in the campus community through the following extra-curricular activities:
- Student Government Students elected into Student Government positions work in cooperation with the Dean of Students to plan and execute student events and fundraisers, and voice the issues and needs of the student body.
- Resident Assistants Resident Assistants are students who have been identified as responsible, dependable, and capable young adults who live in each dorm and serve as liaisons between boarding students and dorm parents.
- Athletic Team Captains Team captains are voted on by the team or are selected by the coach, sometimes on a rotating basis. An elected captain can be of help to the coach in administrative and support matters throughout the season and provides leadership in support of the coach. Captains are the only people other than the coach who can talk to anyone, including referees, during a game.
- Admissions Ambassadors Our student ambassadors—otherwise know as "Blue Key Club" members—play an important role in the admissions process. These students represent the SKS community to families who are considering The Storm King School. Responsibilities include touring families on campus, helping at Open House, and leading applicants in our Student for a Day program.
- National Honor Society Criteria for NHS membership include scholarship, service, leadership and character. Each NHS member must maintain a 90 average GPA and contribute positively to the school and to the community through volunteer work, leadership opportunities and an exemplary attitude.